Tag Archives: burda

I’m here, I swear!

It’s been a few months, and my sewing has slowed considerably. But I DID complete a few new things in time for an early-June trip to California: A pink seersucker version (for myself this time) of Simplicity 2591, and Burda 05-2010-114 tiered mini dress.

For this dress I used a Kaffe Fasset cotton print from Mulberry Silks, that’s a small enough print with that good rose tone that seems to be good for my skin tone:

I left out the zipper but kept the buttonholes, and lengthened the front bodice piece at the top and bottom for a little more coverage.

This dress was incredibly easy to make, and with our insanely high temperatures this summer I’m hoping to make this again.

Photos of both of these projects coming soon! Off to New York this weekend.. maybe there will be some time for the fabric shops?


Organizing in the Wintertime

I finally got around to doing a few things in my craft room, including:

Organizing all my Burda line drawings in a notebook!

Buying a tub for my growing fabric collection! Though this doesn’t fit everything, I’ve got a few boxes from Ikea that should cover the rest.

Hanging that framed piece of vintage fabric above the newly positioned sofa!

Still on the list:

Organize all envelope patterns and traced Burda patterns into a hanging file.

Find a frame for this great poster.

How do you keep track of what fabric is in your stash? A hard copy list, an excel file, a big huge white board to remind you every day? I’m having trouble with my half-finished messy list.. I can never remember what piece of fabric I’m referring to on paper.

Burda 09-2009-124

This is from Burda’s September issue, but I can’t find the line drawing on their site. It has shirring at the waist and arms, and shank buttons at the front. This came together really quickly, even though it was my first time in a long time using a plaid print. I was worried that since I started cutting out the pieces around 11pm that nothing would line up, but it all turned out fine.

The fabric is from JoAnn – one of their “Indian Summer” pieces I think. It’s a pretty loose weave and it frays really easily – the inside is a mess. Good thing you can’t see it!

For the shirring, I tried the Burda-suggested method: put down the shirring elastic and zig-zag over it, then pull. This gave me an enormous amount of control, unlike the last method I tried. Thanks for the suggestion, Mary Nanna!

More photos on Flickr.