my first time

I finished the hens & chicks no. 2 quilt top at the end of the week, made the backing & basted on Saturday, and started practicing stippling last night on a practice sandwich.

I was using Coats Cotton thread for machine quilting, which seemed fine, until this morning when I took the plunge and just went for it on the real deal. I don’t know what was going on, but my needle, tension, bobbin, and thread were not getting along. At all. So I changed to some Mettler thread (after another trip to expensive quilt store) and for some reason, it mostly fixed the problem… I’m just thinking it’s time to get my machine serviced. Sigh.

Anyway, here’s what it’s looking like. Obviously my stitch length is all over the place, but I think I did a pretty good job keeping the flow of the curves going.

jj_quilt_front_blocks

Borders in this shot:

jj_quilt_top

I did a different stitch pattern around the borders — you can see the detail on the back:

jj_quilt_back_2

It was my first time free-handing on a real project and it’s soo much easier than stitching in the ditch or even keeping to parallel lines. On hens & chicks no.1 it seemed like the blocks were being pushed & distorted too much by the force of the feed dogs — there are zero puckers on the free motion quilt. Yay! The hardest part, really, was stopping myself from holding my breath.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s